Broaden Your Horizons
Contact Number: +44 (0) 1475 722 722
Find out a little bit more about Alistair from our fun questions!
1. When did you start with OYT Scotland?
I started in February 2012 having just finished the ASTO (Association of Sail Training Organisations) Skippership Scheme in Kent……the temperature change was quite big!
2. What’s your most memorable moment working with OYT Scotland?
This has to be dancing around the deck of Alba Endeavour with 16 crew in a conga….what made it even more memorable was that we were in the middle of the ocean, completely becalmed and at 3am in the morning……drunk on hot chocolate!
3. What’s been your best sailing experience with OYT Scotland and why?
I was very fortunate to sail to the Faroe Islands and also St.Kilda on our Young Leaders Development Programme voyage in 2012, which was amazing!
4. If you could sail anywhere in the world where would it be to and why?
I have always wanted to sail to Alaska and also the Antarctic. I love Snow and Ice though when sailing just to look at, I prefer not to be too close to it!
5. What song always brightens up your day?
As a 1st mate for the organisation I spend a lot of my time on the boat organising happy hour (cleaning the boat), so up beat music is really good or silly music….the YMCA or Hakuna Matata from the Lion King always puts a smile on my face.
6. If you were a sea creature what sea creature would you be?
I think I’d have to be a Killer Whale….I’ve always liked the film “Free Willie” and was lucky to see some Killer Whales whilst sailing across the North Sea in 2011. They seem to be the cool dudes of the sea…though I’m not!
7. Tell us a fascinating fact about you!
In 2012 I raced across the Irish Sea against Ellen MacArthur and was only beaten by half a boat length….and she had a head start! 😉
Click here to find out where our vessels are currently sailing.