Contact Number: +44 (0) 1475 883 143
Find out a little bit more about Sandy from our fun questions!
1. How did you first start sailing with OYT Scotland?
Bet Philips, the then Scottish Manager of OYC, was running a stand at an outdoor show at the SECC in Glasgow. I was curious to find out what it was all about, and Bet wasted no time in roping me on to a weekend training voyage. That was in September 1991, and I haven’t looked back since.
2. What’s your favourite OYT Scotland memory?
So many. From games around the table and high levels of excitement, to the silence of sailing into a bank of fog off Colonsay, and the watch timing their 2 minute fog signals with expert precision! All of them involve the crew, so it is really about seeing them develop and build confidence during their time aboard.
3. What is your job outside of OYT Scotland and what particular set of skills do you bring to the organisation?
I work part time with the Trust as their Finance Director, and before that, I was a Director of my own business for 24 years, so have a built up a range of experience over time.
4. Why do you enjoy being on the board of OYT Scotland?
The intense experience of life aboard for a week can be life changing for some, and the charitable aims of the Trust hold as true today, as they did when I first got involved.
5. What are your hobbies apart from sailing with OYT Scotland?
Golf if I have the time, sailing with friends, and generally being outdoors.
Click here to find out where our vessels are currently sailing.