Do you want to feel more confident and knowledgeable about youth work as an OYT Scotland volunteer?
You may have heard about the OYT Scotland Youth Work Toolkit, may have seen some of the sections in draft format at the Training Seminar in February or may even been kind enough to proof read some of the sections.
We’re really excited to let you know that the new Youth Work Toolkit will shortly be available to view and download through our new “members portal” accessed via the website.
It’s broken down into 11 sections, each designed to be able to be read as a stand-alone document but with references throughout to other sections where relevant. There is an Introduction that explains the background and how to use the Toolkit which is best read before you get stuck into any of the other sections.
The sections cover:
– Building Positive Relationships with Young People
– Creating Voyage Agreements
– Safeguarding and Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults
– Helping Young People To Build Their Confidence
– Helping Young People Make The Most Of Learning Opportunities
– Working with Challenging Behaviour
– Having Fun And Playing Games
– Making Best use of The Log of Achievement and Goal Setting
– Curriculum for Excellence
– Accredited Learning
The Toolkit doesn’t replace Training Workshops but gives you background information and some tools and techniques that you can look at before you go on a voyage and then have an opportunity to practice on board.
The portal is now in the final stages of testing and will be live by the end of August. Volunteers will then be emailed a username and password for the portal where they will be able to access the Youth Work Toolkit along with other useful information.