Useful Links

ML5 Form Download
Supportive Letter to G.P.
List of MCA Approved G.P.s

Why Do I Need an ML5 or ENG1

N.B. New volunteers can attend their induction without an ML5 or ENG1, but will require it before sailing on anything further. Bosuns (and familiarisation, until assessed) are no longer required to possess an ML5 or ENG1 medical certificate.

We require volunteers’ to obtain these to ensure you are medically fit to perform the duties assigned to you and any emergency duties. It is important to find out if you have a medical condition which could lead to sudden incapacity or abnormal behaviour which could put the vessel and those on board in danger.
Additionally it is important to find out if you have a medical condition which could recur when the vessel is at sea and need urgent treatment as this may be difficult to obtain or delayed in a way it would not be ashore.

Which Should I Get? (ML5 or ENG1)

If you believe you have no existing medical conditions the cheapest examination will likely be an ML5 as this lasts for 5 years and can cost less (there is no set fee). This will however only be valid to 60 miles offshore and is only recognised in British waters (this covers the vast majority of OYT Scotland voyages). An ENG1 on the other hand only lasts for 2 years but is internationally recognised and has a set fee of £115

How To Get an ML5 or ENG1


Download the form here.

As previously mentioned, you won’t get an ML5 if you have any medical conditions. although you can appeal this (more on that below).

A supportive letter to give to your GP appealing for a reduced rate can be downloaded here.


(The doctor will have this form)

Even if you have medical conditions, it is possible get an ENG1 – although you may get a restricted certificate (e.g. no solo watchkeeping). If you do end up with a restricted certificate, OYT Scotland will try and accommodate that.

ENG1’s have a fixed price of £115 and must be done by an MCA approved GP, you can find a list of these here.

Appealing an ML5

If you feel you will not get the ML5 or have been refused, its possible to appeal it if you have a commercially endorsable RYA certificate. Otherwise it is not.

The appeal would be to the RYA in the first instance. You will find a completed example of Page 13 here to assist you with this.

If you have no such certificate (dayskipper, powerboat level 2, or yachtmaster) or you know you will fail the ML5 it may be necessary, easier or quicker to apply for an ENG1.

Certificate Upload

You can upload your ML5 or ENG1 here (you must be logged in).

Need Help?

If you’re unsure about anything or need help contact or call the office on 01475 722 722.

Skip to content